The Frank D. Yuengling Home, constructed in 1913, is a fine example of early, twentieth century Tudor-Jacobethan Revival architecture. The hallmarks of this style—gable roof, large porches, balconies, stone accents, framing apertures, leaded windows, decorative half-timbering carved stonework—combine in this building to create a sense of grandeur which continues to the present time. This home was maintained as a private residence from 1913 until March 13, 1978 by the Yuengling Family. The house and nearly two acres of surrounding grounds including a carriage house, formal gardens and gazebo, will remain unaltered excepting the changes necessary to conformance with Labor and Industry Building Codes in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The elegance of entry to the house and grounds is enhanced by the majesty of large iron gates and lanterns. The portico invites access through carved wooden double doors with distinctive leaded glass window panels.




 A grand welcome awaits Art and Ethnic Center participants and visitors as they are greeted in the neo-Jacobethan style foyer, common for large homes in 1913. The original use of this foyer, with its massive carved stone fireplace and impressive open staircase, will remain a greeting and meeting place where every activity in the twenty-odd rooms and carriage house studios will begin. The foyer displays a Patronage Plaque on which are the names of the following building fund donors: H. L. Miller and Son and Pottsville Bleach and Dye; Williamson, Friedberg, and Jones; Lipkin, Stutzman, Marshall, and Bohorad; American Argo Corporation; Exxon U.S.A. Annuitants Fund; The Bohorad Charitable Trust; Will S. and Anna S. Fox Foundation.



The formal living room paneled in solid mahogany with ornate tapestry wall hangings epitomizes the elegance of the neo-Jacobethan architecture. The ornately carved fireplace mantel and elegant chandelier provide the perfect intimate setting for chamber concerts, lectures, and many meetings that will be conducted there. The room dedication to Dr. and Mrs. Braun will remain a tribute to the heritage left by this talented couple who were cultural and community leaders in Schuylkill County for more than a half century.


Originally the home of the Yuengling family, the owners of America’s oldest brewery, this property became the Art and Ethnic Center, the home of the Schuylkill County Council for the Arts in March 1978. The heirs of Augusta Yuengling donated the house and grounds in order to provide Schuylkill County with a home for cultural and arts activities.

Thanks in part to the generosity of the Yuenglings, the SCCA has continued to grow and establish a variety of innovative programs that reach thousands of people across the region. The home was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in Washington D.C. in 1979.

Since 1978, this family homestead has become a regional center housing a professional and volunteer staff dedicated to fostering growth in the art and ethnic heritage of Schuylkill County. The SCCA is a local arts agency. There are 54 such agencies in PA and Schuylkill is the most beautiful setting of all.